Thursday, July 24, 2014

Meet Mark Aasmundstad

 Mark Aasmundstad At AZ Time 
Trial Championships, 2013
Introducing Mark Aasmundstad, Flagstaff Representative

Bicycling is a good way of spending time outside every day and it makes me feel so alive.  I like the rhythm, motion, intimacy and freedom of moving through landscapes on a bike.   Bicycling is an excellent way to meet great people, and helps me stay in touch with what is happening in my community.  Commuting by bike keeps me mindful of my health and it feels right to practice a cost effective, renewable, and sustainable way to get around.  Sometimes I ride on lunch breaks too to get the blood flowing, have a rolling chat with a friend, and to invigorate my senses and mind.  On the weekends I like to go for social rides and tour places that interest me.  Occasionally I’ll train for specific events to give myself a challenge and see how far discipline, practice and love can take me.   It’s amazing the places you can go on a bike, the people you can meet, and how a small commitment through a daily practice can provide a good base for overall health and for doing longer rides.


After 17 years of bicycling and 10 years in Flagstaff, I joined the Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists to give back and contribute to improving and developing bicycling opportunities in Arizona, which is a most wondrous place to explore and discover by bicycle.  My advocacy work focuses on supporting the connectivity bicycling builds between people, between people and place, to our personal health, between urban and open lands, to our goals and ambitions for a better, richer life together.  My efforts focus on building communication around common ground between disparate groups, communities and cultures that have not yet had the chance to come together to share respect and joy for living conscientiously, and realizing how we can support each other to be stronger and reach goals.  The Coalition of AZ Bicyclists has been a tremendous resource for me and positive asset in my bicycling life.  Joining is the right thing to do and will help you concentrate more on healthy bicycling! I keep a bike-centric blog and run a consulting business at bikeyogi.com.  Feel free to read more about my efforts there.

Thank you!  Mark Aasmundstad

No comments: